Teacher Training School Direct
What is Initial Teacher Training?
There are several routes into the teaching profession; these include School Direct, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), undergraduate courses, School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) and Teach First. Merrylands Teacher Training Partnership offers the non-salaried school direct route into teaching with the potential of a Tax Free Bursary.
What is a Tax Free Bursary?
For successful applicants we offer the opportunity of a Tax Free Bursary. The bursary for September 2018 is £12,000 for 10 months from 1st September 2018 until 30th June 2019.
What is a Golden Handcuff?
For successful applicants we offer the opportunity not only of a Tax Free Bursary but also a Golden Handcuff which includes a 1st July 2019 start date along with an enhanced starting salary depending on experience. You would be expected to stay at the school that has employed you for a minimum of two years.
What is School Direct?
Our School Direct course is designed by the Merrylands Teacher Training Partnership (MTTP) and Essex Teacher Training (ETT). Merrylands Primary School and Nursery is the lead school for School Direct in our partnership. The partnership is looking to recruit high quality graduates onto our School Direct programme. School Direct is a popular choice for trainees and many secure a teaching post in the network of schools where they train, for their NQT induction year.
The MTTP School Direct course lasts one year, and trainees train at schools across Basildon. This course offers a brilliant option for trainees that want to train and learn ‘on the job’ – but prospective trainees shouldn’t worry about being thrown in at the deep end. They’ll be part of a team from the very start, receiving intensive support from experienced teachers and mentors. This ensures trainees won’t be teaching classes unsupported until the school thinks the trainee is ready.
The principles of academic rigour on School Direct are the same as on university-led courses. School Direct trainees are able to apply for financial support through https://www.gov.uk/student-finance and may be eligible for a tax free teacher training bursary if they meet the NCTL criteria. The tuition fees for the programme are £8,900 and the School Direct course results in qualified teacher status (QTS) and the award of a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE), accredited by the University of Derby
School Direct graduates have very high rates of employment and trainee satisfaction.
It is important to note that School Direct offers two routes; salaried and non-salaried but Merrylands Teacher Training Partnership offers the non-salaried route only.
Who are we?
Merrylands Teacher Training Partnership is a Multiple Teaching School Partnership, placing teaching, learning and pupil achievement at the heart of all its work. Basildon in conjunction with the Basildon Excellence Partnership (BEP) and Basildon Education Services Trust (BEST) has made tremendous progress over the last few years with now only one school being graded by Ofsted as less than good.
Research and development sits in the centre of our work. Our Partnership works closely with BEP and BEST to offer Basildon primary schools an opportunity to work collaboratively and collectively to shape Initial Teacher Training, Continued Professional Development (CPD) opportunities, school to school support and research and development.
The partnership is led by Merrylands Primary School and Nursery.
What does MTTP offer?
Our School Direct programmes are full time, one-year primary school-based programmes, leading to qualified teacher status with a PGCE.
Our programmes offer you:
- A high percentage of time spent in a school experienced in training trainees
- A high quality professional studies programme
- Personalised support
- Recognition of your previous experience
- A good understanding of, and preparation for, the teaching profession
Why train with MTTP
MTTP works in partnership with Essex Teacher Training which is a large provider of Initial Teacher Training in the Eastern Region. As part of EES for Schools, they offer high quality school-based training routes for both Primary and Secondary. Working with their SCITT and School Direct partners they are able to offer training places in schools across Essex and its surrounding borders. Outcomes for trainees are very high across all its programmes with over 95% of all trainees who meet QTS being graded as good or outstanding.
Our training gives you:
- Termly visits from your personal external tutor/subject tutor
- Induction before you start
- A professional studies programme which includes training on National Curriculum subjects, behaviour management, inclusion, assessment and SEND (Please note trainees on the Schools Direct routes will undertake some of this training with their host schools)
- Opportunities to meet regularly with other trainees
- Opportunities to observe and work alongside experienced teachers, gradually taking more responsibility for group and class teaching
- Teaching experience across a specified age range: 3-7 or 5-11 years
- Teaching experience in at least two schools
- A comprehensive course handbook outlining all course requirements (online resource)
- All trainees must demonstrate that they have met the minimum agreed standard for qualifying to teach (QTS) by the end of the course.
MTTP Core Values
What is important to us:
- Growing and developing future teachers
- Investing time and energy in supporting and challenging trainees
- Creating a long term career pathway – from initial trainees to highly effective, reflective practitioners, and building potential for future school leaders and managers
- Developing a depth of understanding of teaching and learning
- Facilitating delivery of great learning experiences
- Offering high quality training and excellent Continuous Professional Development across the teaching school alliance
- Harnessing the quality existing within our schools in order to create aspirational and inspirational future teachers and leaders
What are our Entry requirements?
- A full UK degree (or equivalent) at 2:2 or above
- GCSE grade C in English Maths and Science (or equivalent)
- Trainees must also pass the NCTL’s skills tests in literacy and numeracy before they can be offered a place on any teacher training programme
Please check with us before undertaking any equivalency tests to ensure they meet the TA requirements. If your qualifications are non-UK you will need to apply for a NARIC statement of comparability
MTTP is looking for Trainees with:
- Growth Mindset thinking
- Ambition and aspiration for our children
- Reflective and enquiring minds
How to applyAll applicants must visit the UCAS Teacher Training website in order to register to train to teach.
You will then need to use the Search Tool and select Merrylands Primary School. Our UCAS code is 2D6
You can start researching teacher training programmes from 13th October 2017 when the UCAS Teacher Training search goes live.
You can start to apply online from Tuesday 18th October and can make up to 3 choices of training programme. Make sure to select MTTP as one of them.
Merrylands Primary School is the Lead School in the MTTP School Direct Programme so they will coordinate the selection and recruitment process for trainees.
Successful applicants for MTTP will be invited for interview.
Merrylands Primary School and Nursery,
Name: Claire Eustace
Tel: 01268 417893
Essex Teacher Training
Basildon Excellence Partnership
Schools in our PartnershipFairhouse Primary School
Felmore Primary School
Great Berry Primary School
Greensted Infant School and Nursery
Janet Duke Primary School
Kingswood Primary School and Nursery
Lincewood Primary School
Millhouse Primary School and Nursery
Noak Bridge Primary School
Northlands Primary School
Rydene Primary School
St Teresa's RC Primary School
Whitmore Primary School and Nursery
Cherry Tree Primary School and Nursery
Eversley Primary School
Ghyllgrove Infant School
Ghyllgrove Junior School
Laindon Park Primary School
St Anne Line Infant School and Nursery
The Willows Primary School and Nursery
Crays Hill Primary School